September 23, 2009

What's the story about?

Leaving things and people behind is not easy. But I just realized that it has to be done. I no longer have that link that tells me what time it is in Ensenada or Monterrey. I'm only focusing on my time, Europe time. I have to, or else I just can seem to concentrate on what needs to be done... like the damned storylines. I'm kind of stuck on a storyline or lack thereof, to be precise.

How much does the "perceived" storyline of a video game influence the players enjoyment of the game? Can you tell stories in a video game format? It's an interactive medium, but still, very limited. How much can a story develop in that format?

I've always thought it would be very cool to create a story that would be told in many formats. I know we already have things like, say, The Lord Of the Rings, which started as a book and developed into many other things like, of course, the movies, but also graphic novels, cartoons, video games and whatnot. But, what if there's a story that is created specifically to be told in parts, but using different mediums to tell it?

Each medium can be used for specific parts of the story. I always thought it could start with a graphic novel, to introduce the characters and the basic storyline. Then could come a book, where most of the action can take place... I'm thinking of ways a video game can factor in the equation, but I'm still not quite there yet.

Off to read some more and hope to make some sense out everything I'm trying to cram into my brain.

Out.


Is this making any sense?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Videogames are the future of storytelling. As games become more sophisticated (and they have evolved a lot over the years, just look at the "writer" credits in most of the popular ones, and the kind of talent the attract) they will start to take over. Consoles themselves have to get better, and the possibilities of the Xbox and PS3 have barely been explored.

Look at the game engine for GTAIV, for example. Not much of a story there, but the "sandbox" they built to play in has a lot of potential. Look at the storylines for Shadow of the Colossus or Dead Space.

And on that note, google Guillermo del Toro's or James Cameron's thoughts on the issue. They have PLANS. XD

C

Martini said...

True, I read about Del Toro's and Cameron´s thoughts on the topic a few weeks ago and I agree with them. I just have to find a way to prove that's where we are going, for the "scientific crowd" hahaha!! Thanks for your tips!

Martini

Anonymous said...

Heeeeeey
Martha!!!
No se ni donde andas mujer, en verano fui a Tijuana y la verdad no supe si estarias por ahi, o en Europa!!
Donde andas pues?

Frecuentemente tengo abierto el Messenger pero no te he vuelto a encontrar.

Elizabeth Wakefield (aka Ms. Watson)

Say HI :)