September 09, 2003

Carne Asada

Last friday I got a call at about 8 p.m. from one of my best guy friends. He called to invite me over to his parents house for Carne Asada (and loads of other food items, delissshhh!) since he was leaving for Europe on Sunday and only God knows when he will visit again. So, I sort of made myself presentable and headed over to his house.
The food was excellent and the night was unusually warm. One of my girlfriends is pregnant with her second child(yes, her second child and she's exactly one year older than me), which will be another girl. Before she got married and had her first kid, she was usually a very good listener and she had very interesting things to say...OH how I miss those days! What happens today when you want to talk to her is that you can't hold her attention for more than a few seconds, specially when her firstborn is around. I don't want to sound like a bitch (which I have admitted I am, sometimes...) but it's driving me crazy.
It's like this:

Pregnant Friend says:

Soooo!! how are you doing? What book are you reading these days? (sounding really interested)

Me:

(Trying to talk fast so she wont divert her attention elsewhere) Well, I'm reading To the Lighthouse from Virginia Wolf, do you know which one I'm....***she interrupts with*** Baby!! Come and eat your meat honey... ohhh.. that's funny darling, momma's so proud!... You where saying? ***she says with a smile as she looks at me again***

Me:

Nevermind, what's up with you?

Pregnant Friend says:

Ohh.. well, baby has just started preschool and she love's it. Fiffy is also taking her baby there, it is very good you know.. they have this and that and blah blah blah..

After having a lot of conversations like that one I just decided to let it go and accept that there is no use with her, or my other pregnant/just married friends. Their world is reduced to weddings, showers, kids television programs, kids clothes, pediatricians, etc.etc.

I am verklempt.

No comments: