September 17, 2003

Extraordinary Gentleman... and Woman



Although I enjoy a good comic now and then, I'm not a connoisseur on the subject. Therefore, there are probably thousands of comics I have never heard of. Shame on me.

I went to see this movie because I like Sean Connery, I had no idea what it was about...well, when I saw the poster for the movie I had a brief Indiana Jones flash back, so I must confess that was also another incentive... anyway, I still have not decided if I liked it or not.

As the characters started to appear, I began to feel very excited, which is one good thing of not having known about the comic, if I had known it, it wouldn't have been
such a pleasant surprise. By the middle of the movie, I was half expecting Sherlock Holmes, Poirot, Frankenstein and Van Helsing to appear in any second.

Taking into account that in my list of 10 best stories ever written we can find: Dracula (read it 46 times and counting), Frankenstein, Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, 2000 Leagues Under the Sea, Around the world in 80 days and Dorian Grey (I know he's not included in the comic, but I love it anyway), I can say this much... I was thrilled with the idea of the movie.

About agent Sawyer... Why, oh why???? He just doesn't fit in the story, he's just the yankee element added so the gringo audience would feel "part of" the movie... bad idea, seriously. Many die hard fans of the comic will say the same about Dorian, but I don't care... I think he was a good element, and sexy to boot (yeah, he's gay.. who isn't these days).

I think I did like it... it's not as good as it could have been.... They had all the elements to create an awsome flick... Heelllooooo?? Mina Harker, Allan Quartermain, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (where the probably got the idea to create Hulk, by the way), Captain Nemo, The Invisible Man... the elemnts are there. Nough said yall.





No comments: